The below activities are recommendation by AILA and are not booked or organised, but rather a suggested itinerary and list of great options for getting the most out of your time in Melbourne.
The below recommendations are for both delegates and partners/families.
|Monday 28/08||Tuesday 29/08||Wednesday 30/08||Thursday 31/08||Friday 01/09|
Visit the Bunjikala Aboriginal Cultural Centre and Birrung Gallery
|Enjoy a Yarra Valley Wine & Food Day Tour with lunch at Yering Station||Visit Melbourne Zoo (allow 4 to 5 hours to see the whole zoo)||Take a tour of the Melbourne Cricket Ground and visit the Australian Sports Museum||
Start late with brunch at Higher Ground
|LUNCH||Wander down Lygon Street, Carlton to find lunch, and visit iconic Brunetti Classico Carlton for sweets|
|PM||Visit ACMI in Federation Square.||
Walk Melbourne’s laneways to find lunch or enjoy a shopping and food walking tour
Visit the National Gallery of Victoria
|DINNER||Visit Mo Vida for a classic Melbourne laneway dining experience||Visit Big Esso in Federation Square, an Indigenous Owned restaurant serving Indigenous food on the banks of Birrarung (Yarra River)||Cocktail reception @ Eureka 89||
Gala Dinner @ NGV
Enjoy drinks and dinner at Mitre Tavern or Arbory Afloat
Bunjikala Aboriginal Cultural Centre and Birrung Gallery
Open 9am to 5pm daily
Melbourne Museum, 11 Nicholson Street,
Get an insight into the lives of Victoria's Aboriginal people at Bunjilaka Aboriginal Cultural Centre's Birrarung Gallery. The gallery's incredible feature piece Wurreka, by Judy Watson, contains 74 panels of etched designs along a wall, each reflecting imagery from the Aboriginal heritage and landscapes of Victoria. Get a national view through the diverse collections of 'Many Nations', which features digital labels revealing the story of around 500 artefacts of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander significance.
Monday to Thursday and Sunday 5am to 10pm, Friday to Saturday 5am to 12am
366 Lygon Street, Carlton
Open Monday to Friday 12pm to 5pm, Weekends 10am to 6pm
Federation Square, Melbourne
Located in the heart of Melbourne’s Fed Square, ACMI (formerly Australian Centre for the Moving Image) celebrates the wonder and power of the world’s most democratic artform – fostering the next generation of makers, players and watchers.
Open Sunday to Thursday 12pm to 3pm and 5pm to 10pm
1 Hosier Lane (off Flinders Street), Melbourne
Open daily 9am to 5pm
All visitors (non-zoo members) need to have a pre-booked ticket before you arrive at the zoo. You cannot book tickets at the gate.
Book tickets here https://www.zoo.org.au/
Information about getting to Melbourne Zoo can be found here. https://www.zoo.org.au/melbourne/getting-here/
Open Tuesday to Thursday, 11am to 10pm and Friday to Sunday 11am to late
Federation Square, Melbourne
Yarra Valley Wine, Food and Wildlife Tours
Tours leave daily from Melbourne. Book early to avoid disappointment.
Melbourne Cricket Ground Tour and Australian Sports Museum
Gate 3, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Yarra Park, East Melbourne
MCG tours depart regularly from 10am to 3pm (No tours on event days)
Australian Sports Museum is open daily from 10am to 5pm (varied access on event days)
Afternoon Tea at The Windsor
Melbourne’s longest-running Afternoon Tea celebrating 140 years in 2023.
Wednesday to Sunday, bookings required.
Try AC/DC Lane, Liverpool St, Meyers Place, Hardware Lane, Degraves Street
Marvellous Melbourne Walking Tour
Three hour walking tour with a local guide, sightseeing, food tastings, an opal demonstration and plenty of time for shopping.
Open daily – 5 Bank Place, Melbourne
Open daily from 11am till late
2 Flinders Walk, Melbourne
Monday to Friday, 7am to 5pm, Saturday – Sunday 8am to 5pm
650 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne
National Gallery of Victoria
Open daily 10am to 5pm
There are many retail precincts within Melbourne, including:
- Bourke Street Mall - https://www.visitvictoria.com/regions/melbourne/destinations/bourke-street-mall
- The Block Arcade - https://theblock.com.au/
- Queen Victoria Market - https://qvm.com.au/
- DFO at Southwharf - https://www.dfo.com.au/?gclid=Cj0KCQiArsefBhCbARIsAP98hXQLe7geCWExCyoull-zfXQzwsAcmo3TAUpG30Be4xLGXGLnVv1ilZoaAp3nEALw_wcB
- Emporium - https://www.emporiummelbourne.com.au/
- High Street Armadale https://www.highstreetarmadale.com.au/
Some dining suggestions for Melbourne:
- Siglo Bar: https://siglobar.com.au/
- Botanical Hotel https://botanicalhotel.com.au/
- The Espy at St Kilda: https://hotelesplanade.com.au/
- Stokehouse at St Kilda https://stokehouse.com.au/melbourne/
- The Boatbuilders Yard: https://www.theboatbuildersyard.com.au/menu/
- Dining at the Crown Casino complex: https://www.crownmelbourne.com.au/restaurants
- Dining at Southgate https://www.southgatemelbourne.com.au/dining/restaurants/
- Heide Museum of Modern Art: https://www.heide.com.au/
- Como House and Garden: https://www.nationaltrust.org.au/places/como-house-and-garden/
- Visit St Kilda by tram: https://www.visitvictoria.com/regions/melbourne/destinations/st-kilda
- Cruise the Yarra River: https://yarrarivercruises.com.au/
- Visit Werribee Open Range Zoo: https://www.zoo.org.au/werribee/
- Visit Royal Botanic Gardens: https://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/
- Sea Life Aquarium: https://www.visitsealife.com/melbourne/